Competitive Intelligence – Technology, Media and Telecom
Emerging Chinese Competitors
- Leading electronics and consumer electronics company with over US$50 billion in annual revenues
- Over the past 30 years, market leadership in consumer electronics has shifted from Europe/US, first to Japan, and then to Korea/Taiwan.
- Chinese companies with a strong position in the domestic market are starting to emerge as competitors on the global stage
- The client wanted to assess the risk of leading Chinese companies forcing the client out of global competitiveness in key product categories
- Worked closely with client’s strategy team to develop approach and methodology
- Identified main competitors with the strongest capabilities for global expansion
- Mapped capabilities, strategies and objectives of leading Chinese competitors in key product categories
- Assessed the likelihood of competitors reaching targets within specified time periods
- Developed regional and global market share scenarios for specified periods
- Approach relied on extensive industry interviews
- Primary research conclusions fed into quantitative scenario-based model forecasting market shares
- The project deliverables gave the client a clear picture of the competitive strategies of each of its key competitors, including their future product category and geographical focus; this was in itself an important deliverable given the previous lack of reliable information about Chinese competitors.
- Our scenarios identified, for each of our client’s product categories, which regions and countries were most at risk.
- The client is currently developing response strategies for the threats identified by our team.
- The client is also looking at how it can build some of the strengths that the Chinese competitors have developed in the local Chinese market.